STVP is committed to dismantling systemic barriers and forging more equitable pathways for educational, vocational, and personal achievement, especially for those historically underrepresented in entrepreneurship and innovation education.
WE SEE SYSTEMIC INEQUITY
We see the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and too many other Black people.
We see the closure of Black, Latinx, immigrant, and female-owned businesses at substantially higher rates during COVID-19.
We see how the wealth gap more than doubled between America’s richest and poorest families from 1989 to 2016.
We are committed to mobilizing entrepreneurship and innovation education and research to dismantle the barriers that perpetuate and exacerbate injustices and inequities.
WE HAVE A ROLE
Entrepreneurship and innovation are seen as a means for social mobility and prosperity, even though many in society have not reaped the benefits or opportunities.
As educators and researchers, we must examine and update our approaches to deliver on the promise of personal and societal well being.
STVP’S THREE LEVERS TO FOSTER CHANGE
- Normalize narratives of entrepreneurs and innovators who are Black, Latinx, Indigenous, those who are/were First Generation and/or Low-Income students, and others historically underrepresented in entrepreneurship and innovation education.
- Equip aspiring entrepreneurs and innovators with strategies that enable them to a) combat geographic, socio-economic, and demographic barriers and prejudices, and b) succeed in a variety of cultural and geographic environments.
- Increase the diversity of the students and faculty who engage with STVP offerings and, broadly, who engage in entrepreneurship and innovation educational opportunities.
- Stanford eCorner
- Form and manage nominations board for Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Series (ETL) speaker selection that includes students and industry professionals from groups historically underrepresented in entrepreneurship and innovation education
- Produce content that discusses strategies for inclusive ecosystem building
- Produce content that discusses strategies for venture creation in a variety of cultural, geographic, and socio-economic contexts
- Produce content that discusses systemic inequities in entrepreneurship and innovation
- Build relationships with and learn from individuals and organizations that focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Seek out opportunities to collaborate with individuals and organizations that focus on serving those historically underrepresented in entrepreneurship and innovation education
- Combat network effects that perpetuate inequities
- Audit copy, content, and programming to reduce biases and barriers to participation
- Utilize and test new approaches to attracting and engaging those historically underrepresented in entrepreneurship and innovation education
- Utilize and test new approaches that improve the STVP educational experience for those historically underrepresented in entrepreneurship and innovation education
- Host staff led discussion sessions to learn about diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts
- Host town halls with STVP faculty and staff to deepen understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts, issues, and ways to improve